Thursday, October 17, 2013

Week 3 EOC: My Demographics

I am in the category of Generation Y which some might look down upon me to say they are sorry. There are lots of statistics that go to show what most of my generation is; to be fair i despise most people and most of them are indeed my age but lets exempt that. One statistic reported by CTV News claims that "Nearly 40 per cent of Generation Y surveyed said they didn’t want to work hard, as compared to 25 per cent of Baby Boomers surveyed in the 70s."

My problem with this is the statement "work hard";what does that mean exactly? Is that working outrageous numbers each week? Or is it putting yourself through school? Or maybe  its working and going through school? The simple question when asked is if someone wants to work hard i would assume most of everyone would say no. Hitting the lottery would be phenomenal i would not have to worry about anything the rest of my life which seems ok with me. Does that make me worse than any of the Baby Boomers or more lazy? I am not calling myself an exception but i work 30 hour weeks and go to school for another 20 and for an 18 year old that's pretty good. The way everyone is broken down into statistics is meaningless because we were all brought up in different times. And if this statistic is making Gen Y seem more lazy than Baby Boomers then maybe we should take a gander at them and see how they raised Gen X who in terms raised Gen Y.

No comments:

Post a Comment